Cob: Good Foundation?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 07:59:57 CDT 2003

Welcome to the list.  I'm not official, but welcome anyway.

I'd consider rubble trench or well-tamped gravel for the foundation,
especially if you have to go that deep (and, remember, WIDE--two or more
blocks worth).  The log-house guy helping me this spring was a bit dubious
about that until he talked with some friends that are working that way up in
Kentucky, then he became moderately enthusiastic.  Of course it hasn't stood
the test of time in my (difficult) site yet.  His friends in Kentucky (need
deeper foundations than here where they are usually only about 18 inches,
but not no four feet) only went down about a foot.  Don't know if that's
good or bad, but it would bear research.

I am considering a small 200 sq. ft. outbuilding. Can I use concrete
stabiized earth block for the foundation (foundations are 4' deep in
Michigan) or will I have to buy cinderblock?

Michael Fitzgerald
Anthropologist/Woodcarver/Puppetmaker