Cob: Good Foundation?

lightearth at onebox.com lightearth at onebox.com
Tue Apr 29 09:32:40 CDT 2003

Hey Michael, good to hear from a fellow Great Laker!

We have and do use rubble trench foundations that are about 24-28 inches deep and well drained here in Wisconsin and N. Illinois. There's a drain to daylight coming out of the foundation + insulation board around the outside of the foundation (foam unfortunately) and there's also swales that divert surface water away from the foundation just a foot or so outside of the footprint of the building.

No bad experiences with doing something like this yet and don't think there will be......the river stone that we use just won't heave unless it's completely filled with water and flash frozen (then the water heaves of course)...the rock provides a good substrate to support whatever your stiff foundation is that comes above grade for your cob, in my opinion. Cob seems to do better on top of 'jagged' foundation so the rubble trench allows the possibility of broken concrete chunks and rocks on top of it for the Cob to key into.

Also I worked on a strawbale project in Indiana where there was a rubble trench topped with a poured, reinforced, cap over the rubble. That seemed to work pretty good, too concrete intensive, but flat for the strawbales too.

Chuck, are you there ? Great Lakes question....tell them about your choice of foundation too....

Marlin

p.s. let me know in Michigan how the insulating/non-insulating choices with Cob go.

     Marlin Nissen
   - Outta The Box-
  lightearth at onebox.com
(608) 213-9405  Cell/voicemail

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"  - Emerson