Cob: rat runs--cleanliness

Priscilla Stuckey pstuckey at california.com
Tue Apr 29 09:11:47 CDT 2003

I'm a newbie to the list--Oakland, CA, homeowner, wanting to turn my
half-ownership of a house into a whole house, and probably will
actually be able to afford it if I build "dirt-cheap."

I have PLENTY of experience with rats here in this woodsy
neighborhood--I've spent hundreds of hours and several hundred
dollars rat-proofing my house--so I wanted to clarify something.

Rats show up, at least in urban & suburban areas, not because of lack
of cleanliness, but because, like crows, they are opportunists and
will go wherever there is food or shelter--that is, wherever there
are humans. Here in the Oakland hills that means the basements of
every hillside-clinging, expensive home. The only way to keep rats at
bay is to seal every nook and cranny around your house (especially
around pipes and wiring--the rat/mouse freeways) and then trap the
ones that were indoors. BTW, rats are no less clean than squirrels.
We just like squirrels better because they have fuzzy tails, and they
weren't implicated in the plague. Rats have a bad rep because, since
they are mammals, like us, and live close to us (closer than
squirrels), diseases can pass more easily between the species.

I have a question, too, regarding rats & cob houses: I was really
surprised to see the rat question come up on this list (you mean my
rat-fighting days aren't blissfully in the past if I build a cob
house?) because I thought that the solid construction would eliminate
the problem. How do rats become a problem with a cob house?

Priscilla