Cob: Good Foundations

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed May 7 21:13:23 CDT 2003

Michael,
    I recommend that you read the information about foundations and
footings found at the following URL.

http://www.fao.org/inpho/vlibrary/s1250e/S1250E0h.htm#Footings%20and%20foundations

There is a lot more to it than mere area of the building.    The walls
weight, height, the local soil, etc., must also be considered.   Also
note that you can probably also use the

    You might also profit from reading the material about foundations
for cob in Becky Bee's book.   The following URL points to the
foundation information.
     http://www.weblife.org/cob/cob_018.html

   Canada also has some good information about non-deep  foundations,
like used in Scandinavia, but I don't have the URL for it, or remember
the proper foundation type name for this type.    Anyone else out there?

Cheers,
    Darel