Cob: Frost-Protected Shallow Foundation

~Lootvik~ lootvik at usermail.com
Thu May 8 12:42:23 CDT 2003

Only last January Mark Piepkorn wrote on this very list:

... the Frost-Protected Shallow Foundation method. HUD produced a design
guide for the system several years ago, in which it was written, "An FPSF
incorporates strategically placed insulation to raise the frost depth
around a building, thereby allowing foundation depths as shallow as 16
inches, even in the most severe climates. The most extensive use has been
in the Nordic countries, where over one million FPSF homes have been
constructed successfully over the last 40 years. The FPSF is considered
standard practice for residential buildings in Scandinavia."
This design guide, which has quite a bit of good, thought-provoking, and
cross-applicable technical info, can either be purchased from Oikos for 30
bucks:
http://oikos.com/catalog/Design_Guide_to_Frost_Protected_Shallow_Foundations.html

or read for free here:
http://www.cs.arizona.edu/people/jcropper/desguide.html