Cob: Off topic/nasty messages/etc. and server down time.

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Mon May 12 12:08:24 CDT 2003

NOTE: if you wish to respond to this message, please respond to me
privately, discussion of what follows is not an appropriate topic for
the list since it is not cob related and since this is not a democracy,
discussion of list policies should be handled in private messages to me.

Normally I do this privately to the offenders, but I don't have time to
look up specific postings and email addresses, and if you don't know who
you are, you should!!

This list is for ADULTS (of all ages), if you can't act like an adult,
PLEASE LEAVE IMMEDIATELY!

Lately there have been a number of at best marginally on topic messages,
and messages which were on topic but nasty, rude and sarcastic.  Many
of these contributed nothing to the list and as such should have been sent
privately to the person they were intended for, or better yet, not at all.

The coblist is not a private forum for the edification of egos.

If someone insults you, either deal with it privately or ignore it, if
you feel the need to insult someone on the list, DON'T - this is now
officially a hanging offense on the coblist, I've tolerated more of it
than I probably should have, from here on out it will merit instant
(and permanent) removal from the list (no warnings), with me as judge,
jury and executioner, and the busier I am, the more likely it is that I
will simply remove you rather than waste my time with warnings.

A couple of you are likely to be removed without any further notice (now
or at any time in the future) if I get any additional complaints, or if I
see anything even remotely rude or off topic from you as I just don't have
time to deal with this garbage anymore.

NOTE: if someone from the list insults you privately (off list), do not
post their message to this list with your response, as this makes you the
offender, not them, the coblist is not an appropriate place to resolve
problems between you and other members.  The simplest solution is to
ignore them, and if your email program supports it, set it up to
automatically discard all emails from this person.

As for the rest of you on the list, I appologize for not doing something
sooner, but I am completely overloaded right now and always hope that
these kind of exchanges will wind down.  Hopefully in a couple weeks after
I move into my new (and unfinished) cob micro-house, I will have more time
for this kind of stuff.  On a related note, in about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks, the
servers will be down for at least a couple hours while they are moved to
the new location, though afterwards, web access to the list archives
should be considerably faster (the new location has DSL).