Cob: Wood stove in cob wall?

Bill&Julie wbates at mn.rr.com
Thu May 15 20:09:20 CDT 2003

Hello,, from the Frozen North,,,  ( Minnesota  that is) .
After living in northern Minnesota, and burning 8  to 10
cords per season...  I think I may have some light to shed.

We had many weeks of 30 to 50 below F at night...
The biggest single factor is drying the wood.
No-one up there would admit to burning anything but OAK.
And we always cut 3 years in advance...  Some would
stack their wood on end like an igloo/ tepee...
But you need to get it sap free...Split and dry for atleast 1 year..

I liked to use RED DEVIL (brand) Chimney Sweep, about every 2 weeks.
If there is a creosote CONDENSATION problem. It will be where
the hot wet smoke cools against the chimney as the flue goes
through the roof....

I would suggest getting a length of CLASS A insulated chimney
flue to go through the roof... ( or wall )

I hope this helps.....   bill