Cob: Wood stove in cob wall?

mike swink mswink77 at mindspring.com
Thu May 15 22:53:56 CDT 2003

A lot of people do not realize why material of any kind degrades.
 The number one reason is material that is heated up [dry of any mositure].
 Then when the moisture returns sets in motion reactions that over time
break down the material.
 When introduceing heat then moisture to any cob will over time weaken its
bonding.
 Unless you can glaze or temper surfaces like the fire brick in the back of
a fireplace you are askig for trouble decades down the road. For the short
run anything will work even strawbales without cob with overhang will last
years. ha.
 So to take everyones advaic is not correct. But knowing the pro's and con's
of things might help if it is to be a place to last for a lifetime.

 Moisture is the number enmey to a home. Attracts every pest.
Weakens every thing and wears it out.
OBject is to route rain moisture away from home. Moisture in air is enough
to start process.
 We have termites as we tried to find out why they kept coming back. Someone
had used railroad ties then covered them with soil and made brick flower box
next to house. Also found trees too close to house caused mildew and fungus
from drying out in sunlight. Thanks for white paint or we would have not
known it was there.