Cob: Wood stove in cob wall?

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 09:59:23 CDT 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here, In the "Masonry Stove", book , an iron fire box can be used with the brick and clay around it however the size of the box, heat of the fire, thickness of the clay, and the taper of the chimney channels are all part of the development of a good efficient system, that will match the size of your home.  The iron box will expand at a different rate than the clay, the book suggested setting the fire box with a layer of cardboard all around and then put your clay, brick .  The first fire will burn out the cardboard and leave a space between the clay and iron for movement so your shell will not crack.  </P></DIV>
<P>Was excited to here you are digging!  I'm still picking up brick but next month I get back too building!!</P></DIV>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat<BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Waiting4 TheDay" <WAITING4THEDAY at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Waiting4 TheDay" <WAITING4THEDAY at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob: Wood stove in cob wall?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 20:27:56 -0500
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>YES, finally broke ground today, and probably would have had the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>ring dug for the rubble trench if the wheelbarrow tire hadn't gone
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>flat. Thinking of buying a case of fix-a-flat LOL. Afterwards I
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>was sitting in the (little) 20' diameter circle, thinking about how
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>small it seemed, thinking about others who at this same point
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>decided to increase the size of the project, thinking about how I'm
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>doing this by myself without power tools (aesthetic choice).
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>The one real concern that popped out during this meditation was
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>using a wood burner in such close confines (each "room" will at its
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>widest be only 9'). Then the epiphany: integrate the woodburner
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>into the 18" interior cob wall. Is this possible? Given the right
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>proportions of material (less straw, more sand) it seems as if it
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>might work. Plus there's the added benefit of heating both rooms of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the house. The woodburner is a Baron, a no-frills box made of steel
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>plate and weighing in at roughly 300 lbs. Measurements show that
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>about an inch of the front would stick out from one side of the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>wall, and on the other side there would be an inch of play between
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the wall and the pipe.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Comments, ideas, speculation?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Chuck
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>_________________________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>