Cob: cellulose and plaster

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Sun May 25 21:43:57 CDT 2003

It seems if one had the knowledge and materials available (some kind of
plant) that really good quality fiber could be produced.  This would
save having to buy  manufactured paper and then reduce it back into its
pulpy fibrous state.

>  Red rosin paper is now the only paper I use for paper mache and yeilds a
> superior product.

Unfortunately, I am no expert on this.   For example, fibers could be
rendered from straw, from bamboo trunks, and other plants.     Are there
any paper makers out there?

> On the subject of fibers. The Native Americans in Michigan used to weave
> with fiber from the cattail plant. Our museum here in Detroit has bags
> that
> are 150 years old where the fabric was spun from the long fibers of
> Cattail.
> Has anybody tried to use Cattail to increase the tensile strength of
> earth
> mixtures?

Cattail has also been used for ceilings, roofs, woven bags, holders, and
window blinds for outside the home (keep the heat from getting through
the window, yet allows breezes through)..

As for cob I don't know, but I do know that reed has been used, to make
a mesh wattle.

> Michael Fitzgerald
> Anthropologist/Woodcarver/Puppetmaker

My two cents.