Cob: Internal lintels?

Waiting4 TheDay waiting4theday at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 21:02:06 CDT 2003

Hello all,

Just when I thought I had it all figured out....  I'm wanting to put a large
window (5' long x 4' tall) in a very small round building.  While the window
won't be able to open, I'm not comfortable with putting something that large
into the wall without a lintel of some sort, particularly since the top of
the window will be about 2' or less from the top of the wall, which is
load-bearing.  Here's the question:  I'd rather not have a lintel showing on
either surface of the wall, so is it possible to have a fairly sturdy lintel
above the window but encased entirely within the wall?  Say a large log or
pair of 4x4 nailed together?

Thanks,

Chuck