Cob: Internal lintels?

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 4 15:25:55 CDT 2003

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Cat here,  My latest good find was a big 5' round piece of glass 3/4" at the local second hand store.  It was 25 bucks with chips around the edges.  No good for a table but fantastic for a window!  I have been told that I will not need a lentil directly above the glass since round supports itself????  I will put one at the top of the wall however exceeding the window by a few feet to hold the roof.  Well what do you think will it work?</P></DIV>
<P>Little design note:  this window will look out on a small no mantainence (I hope) stone garden backed by bamboo.  the door to enter will also be round and my cabinet maker assures me that he can build one that will roll into the wall.  No hardware, I want this to look Buddhist temple not bank vault!</P></DIV>
<P><EM>for the good of all </EM>Cat<BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "Waiting4 TheDay" <WAITING4THEDAY at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: "Waiting4 TheDay" <WAITING4THEDAY at HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Cob: Internal lintels?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 21:02:06 -0500
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Hello all,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Just when I thought I had it all figured out.... I'm wanting to put
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>a large window (5' long x 4' tall) in a very small round building.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>While the window won't be able to open, I'm not comfortable with
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>putting something that large into the wall without a lintel of some
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>sort, particularly since the top of the window will be about 2' or
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>less from the top of the wall, which is load-bearing. Here's the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>question: I'd rather not have a lintel showing on either surface of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the wall, so is it possible to have a fairly sturdy lintel above the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>window but encased entirely within the wall? Say a large log or
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>pair of 4x4 nailed together?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Thanks,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Chuck
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>_________________________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>