Cob: Internal lintels?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 7 21:06:58 CDT 2003

I really can understand not wanting to get things any sooner than necessary.
  I've got a storage unit full, just bought a new motion detector light
because I couldn't find the one I had.

I was looking for mortar--chinking recipes this evening, ended up here:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/198/cordwood.html

Rob Roy loves cordwood.  But he also seems to think that encasing it in
whatever isn't a problem (especially if you have end-grain out, which you
won't) if the wood is already really dried.  Cob will dry/breathe, probably
better than the mortar mixes he's using.  So unless a genuine expert tells
you different, I'd seriously consider it.  I was surprised to learn that he
really prefers softwood sawdust.   Hickory is the easiest for me to get
right now.

Thanks, but right now I've got my hands full trying to get the foundation
squared away....any more materials for the future and I'm going to start
losing stuff and there's hardly anything more frustrating than knowing you
have something but not being able to find it LOL.

I didn't really get a straight forward answer on the question of internal
lintels, so perhaps you can help me sort this out.  Are there structural
consequences for not having the lintel going all the way through the cob on
both sides of the wall?  IMHO, it would seem that an exposed wooden lintel
would be more prone to swelling from direct exposure to moisture, which
would seem to cause more problems with the cob.  Also, wouldn't an exposed
lintel act as a shelf of sorts that would actually collect water during a
storm and maybe cause erosion if the downpour were forceful enough?

Just some concerns that Ianto hasn't addressed LOL.

Thanks,

Chuck