Cob: Foundation and stemwall

Kim West kwest at arkansas.net
Mon Jun 2 22:35:02 CDT 2003

BlankRight now we're at a standstill. Below
is [a slightly edited] part of an email I just sent to someone else that
will explain why. Am sending this partial copy to the group, instead of
writing it all over again, to save time [hope no one takes offense at that].
If anyone can answer the questions I posed in it please feel free to do so.

Kim

Background:

Original plan was a round house with plenty of room.

Not enough materials found for foundation so house size decreased.

Couldn't wrap my brain around putting a roof on a round house so house
changed to square.

Rubble trench foundation is complete--dug, graded, tamped, gravel layer
added, tamped, piped, more gravel added, tamped, ditched to daylight
downhill.

House will be a 16'x16' two-story with either a "1/2 vertical log 1/2
screened in" or a "1/2 cordwood 1/2 screened in" 10'x20' room on the north
side [running the length of the cob] for the kitchen and laundry.

Trench is 4 foot wide for stability, varies from 1 foot deep to 2 foot deep,
and is on red clay subsoil.

Walls will be 2 foot thick and taper up to 1 foot thick at the top.

Right now I am at a standstill. I know the foundation is very important and
must be done right else it will fail and the house will fall. My next step
will be to start the stemwall. I had intended to have a concrete beam on top
of the rubble trench and embed the first course of urbanite into it. Called
and it will cost over $300.00 for the 6" deep layer of concrete all around
the trench.

We do not live in an earthquake zone--we have the best rating possible for
earthquake probability I believe.

The house is being built on a nearly flat piece of land with a slight slope.

Questions:

1. Is it a must to have the concrete beam poured atop the trench given the
dimensions of the house I am building, or can I get by without embedding the
urbanite in concrete?

2. Some people do a dry stack on the stemwall. Is that a no-no since ours
will be a two-story?

3. Can we simply place a mortar bed atop the trench instead of having the
concrete poured?

4. What is your opinion on our options for the area between the rubble
trench and the stemwall given the figures above for the house?

Apologies, but we had everything planned out so that we would have enough
money for this--but the price of everything is going up so much it is
scaring me. Plastic sheeting went up 33% from the time I bought some a
couple months ago to when I got some a couple days ago. Both rolls were
identical: 24'x100' black, 4 mil. A couple months ago it was $39 and a
couple days ago it was $52. At this rate we will never have the resources to
finish this house as planned. I am going absolutely nuts! I know this part
has to be done right or we might as well stop building. Already we are way
behind schedule due to the excessive rain storms and I can't keep stalling
much longer--no matter how crazy this is making me I gotta either [blank] or
get off the pot as they say! (:D)