Cob: RE: commercial clay

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Thu Jun 12 07:40:37 CDT 2003

I've done some, not much white (Kaolin clay) which is local to my site with somewhat white sand.

The main problem I had was that the clay was in pretty hard chunks so I ended up soaking it and making it into a slurry, then adding it to the sand.

The red clay locally already had the right amount or sligltly less than needed amount of sand in it so I used that instead as it cut some of the labor out.

Pat
www.gypsyfarm.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Calvert [mailto:bradcalv at netspace.net.au]
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 12:01 AM
To: coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Cob: commercial clay

I gather most people are using clay dug on site.

Has anyone tried using clay from a brickworks or some other industrial
supplier?

Or are people getting clay from some building excavation site?

I live in suburbia and don't really need to dig a big hole in the ground.

And what about sand?  Do people use bricklayer's sand or something like
that?

Has anyone tried white clay with white sand?