Cob: Perforated pipe sleeves

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 17 06:42:46 CDT 2003

The guy working for me said that those sleeves were more of a nuisance than
anything else, especially with the silt that was likely to be washing down
to it at my site.  He recommended and given his reasoning I agreed that we'd
forget it.  A layer of straw is a reasonable alternative, at least if you
have the pipe on the side of the foundation, not under it.  And I think that
the rolls are mostly for septic tanks--with slits to let water OUT
slowly--the sticks are for drainage, put hole side up.

here's a link, primarily from an existing foundation point of view:
http://www.askbuild.com/cgi-bin/printcolumn?070

We are building a log duck house with a RTF.  I was wondering if anyone can
help us out.  When I went to look at perforated pipe it was pretty
reasonable, but the cloth covering more than doubled the price.  The guy at
home depot said it really doesn't matter if we use it or not since it is
pretty dry here in Northern New Mexico (although we live at 7500 ft and the
shed is on the north side where we have quite a bit of snow sitting all
winter).  I was wondering if I could just cover it in a regular bed sheet?
Or is there something else that is cheap and easily obtained? Can we just
skip the covering altogether?  Thanks,
Vivian