Cob: Rubble Trench Foundation

Kristina Orchard-Hays tinabud02 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 08:31:22 CDT 2003

Hi Vivian,

We're building a cob house here near Taos, NM -- perhpas we are neighbors?  Our neighbors have built strawbale homes and didn't use any sort of piping at all (!) in their trench foundations, only gravel, then a cement stem wall.  They said that it is so dry they haven't had any drainage problems in four years.  We're being a bit more conservative and are using perforated pipes in our drains, but we aren't using any sort of covering.  In fact, I wasn't aware that you needed to (!).  Our neighbors think we're going for overkill by even putting in the pipe.  I guess we'll find out when it snows/rains!

Best of luck with your project.
Sincerely,
Kristina

Vivian Westfall <vivian at gentoo.net> wrote:
We are building a log duck house with a RTF. I was wondering if anyone
can help us out. When I went to look at perforated pipe it was pretty
reasonable, but the cloth covering more than doubled the price. The guy
at home depot said it really doesn't matter if we use it or not since it
is pretty dry here in Northern New Mexico (although we live at 7500 ft
and the shed is on the north side where we have quite a bit of snow
sitting all winter). I was wondering if I could just cover it in a
regular bed sheet? Or is there something else that is cheap and easily
obtained? Can we just skip the covering altogether?
Thanks,
Vivian