Cob: Florida and huge buildings

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 2 08:03:46 CDT 2003

A lot of the experience people have with natural building methods DOES
involve moisture control.  Especially true if you are talking about straw
bale or cob.  So the information is out there.

If for codes or whatever reasons you NEED to have 3000 square feet, consider
cob for an ornamental entryway, something else for the rest of the building.
  It's slow building, not just because you get to mix all your stuff, but
because each layer has to dry enough to support the next.

My friends with a slip-form concrete house lived in their trailer for over a
year, and I think that the pair of them were building full time most of that
time.  The house is probably just under a thousand square feet and slip-form
concrete is quite a bit faster than cob.  Another couple, building slip-form
concrete part time, got to the screaming stage after a year of working on
their walls, I think that they put up a stick-built studio for her to work
in, hired a lot done, and still aren't finished, even though they're living
on their property in a trailer.  Going on for three years that I know of.  I
personally consider slip-form concrete old-fashioned.  But the first
couple's house still works well after over 20 years.

Another friend here laughed at me when I started a log room.  The logs were
free, but I needed a thousand dollars worth of screws.  And I hadn't gotten
to the electrical stuff yet.  He said that that always happens.  Your basic
structure may be free, but "systems" may be more than they are in
conventional construction--particularly if you have to hire them done, if
you haven't designed them in to start with.

I'm not trying to dissuade you (or me) from building.  But it's a LOT of
work.  It CAN be done very cheaply, but it takes knowledge of
systems--electrical, plumbing (including septic tank in my area), HVAC,
roofing--and gifted scrounging ability.  And most important, thought--what
do you need your home to do.  Start small--benches, garden walls, hot tubs,
earth ovens, see what your tolerance for the work is.

Ryan in Florida writes
I used to live in Tallahassee, FL in a concrete house.  Once, there was a
problem with the roof or drainage system or something or other and the walls
started to bleed water when it would rain or get very damp outside.  It got
so bad that about a foot of mold started to grow around the upper part of
the walls.  My dogs and I all three got sick.  Does the weather in Florida
permit cob building without the threat of mold, insects, and vermin?  Does
anyone have the answer to this before I start prospecting land.  Also, I
would like to pay for all my materials in cash, ideally.  Does anyone have
an idea of approximate cost of building a 3000 square foot cob house with
recycled windows and a door.  So, basically, we're talking roof, frame,
plumbing, electrical, building supplies, etc.  Does a cob house need a
frame, a
  two story cob?  I know these are many questions but I thank anyone who has
any ideas or answers.  Is $10,000 for materials plus septic tank about
right?

Thanks, Ryan in Jacksonville