Cob: small cob housing

Mary Hooper mjhooper at trccomputing.com
Thu Jul 3 16:14:48 CDT 2003

Now I'm going to try to send this message to the list instead of just the one person who brought it up!!!
snip snip snip:::
Cob buildings can be large, they can be made with large machinery and
theycan be made relatively quickly. However, it is also a human scale
technologythat can be made almost completely by hand with simple tools and
.... ::end snip

Now, there's a thought I had not had.... using large machinery.... has
anyone used a cement mixer instead of feet to mix the mud????
I imagine a big truck size mixer and the construction guy saying "You want
me to mix WHAT in it?" and the forms people saying "You want to me to pour
WHAT in my forms?"
Anyone have any wisdom to impart for either sitution? Would a large poured
wall dry without cracking? Would those of us who have tricky knees and
reduced energy levels benefit from thinking "outside the box" on this? Not
to go fully industrial strength, but how could we utilize modern equipment
to make the job easier on our old joints and/or speed up the work?
Mary in NC