Cob: Difficult to build uson>>mall cob housing

Russell Theodore Holzinger IAM at AvidDesignStudio.com
Fri Jul 4 13:26:00 CDT 2003

It helps if you are using a dryer mix with more straw next to the existing structure.
The same is true when building up to a roof that is in place  or other wooden features.

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: otherfish
Sent: 2003-07-04 11:02 AM
To: Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder; Wendy Smyer Yu; coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Re: Cob: Difficult  to build uson>>mall cob housing

Hi Charmaine,
Thanks for your continuing informative postings.

My experience is that new cob abbed to old ( ie: well dried ) does not bond
AT ALL.  In fact, the benches we added to the Troth building, actually
shrunk AWAY from the wall they were intended to be attached to.  Since cob
shrinks as it dries, this was a real world ( but unexpected ) result of
adding to previously built cob.

One lesson from this is that if you are planning to add to a cob building
later, what you are adding needs to be designed to be independent, and not
reliant structurally on the original building in any way.

Had I to do it over, I'd have integrated the bench incstruction to occurr
concurrently with the building.

john fordice

on 7/4/03 10:28 AM, Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder at tms at northcoast.com