Cob: Re: small cob housing

terry tbryan at tigernet.missouri.org
Sun Jul 6 09:51:41 CDT 2003

I live in mid-Missouri and my wife and I along with the help of some of our highschool students have built a 30 ft. circular cob cabin and we used a mortar mixer to do the mixing, it was a lot faster than foot stomping, but you have to shovel or lift buckets of clay into it and then add your water and straw. the hardest part is turning out the cob from the mixer, it takes two of us( 1 old person +1 highschool kid) to pull over the drum.  It took us all of last summer to build almost all of the cabin, working 6days a week and from 6 to 8 hrs a day.  toward the end of the summer we rented a mortar mixer along with the one we already had and could really turn out the cob, but it was and extreme amount of work.  I doubt that you could find a a cement mixer that would allow you to put clay, sand, straw, and water in his machine.  But I think it would doable.  You might wnat to look into papercrete, or Fidobe, there are some people out west who are using it in monolithic pours.  Hopes this helps Terry