Cob: RE: sheep manure?

Brad Calvert bradcalv at netspace.net.au
Sun Jul 13 08:15:46 CDT 2003

My reservation would be the time spent collecting it.  Cows do it in big
packages that are easy to pick up.  Sheep do it peanut sized.

Or are sheep kept in stables in winter wherever you are?  Or battery farmed
or something?

I remember rolling dry sheep manure between my fingers years ago and it
seems to be roughly similar to cow or horse manure.  I was wondering about
cows vs. horses.  Cows have a more efficient digestive process than horses,
consequently they can be stocked at higher densities per acre.  I wonder if
horse manure is either coarser or may contain more nutrients that may be
undesirable in terms of mould.

I would certainly go for pasture fed manure over grain fed.

>Does anyone know anything about sheep manure in cob or plasters? How does
it compare to other kinds (cow, horse...) in terms of elasticity,
stickiness, etc.?

Thanks,
Sarah