Cob: Re: Cob wall near Washington DC

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 08:33:28 CDT 2003

        On Sunday, July 27 I will be having an earth plastering party to put
a "brown coat" on my cob wall. Anyone in the area who is interested in cob and
who would like to try their hand at plastering is welcome to attend. I hope
to start at around 9:00 AM and I will order Vegetarian Chinese for lunch.
       I have never tired earth plasters but, Magie, a more experienced
cobber, has done some plastering and will be there to help out.
       A short part of the wall is cob over bamboo lath. If anyone is
interested I will be happy to demonstrate bamboo splitting.
       Please let me know if you are planning to stay for lunch so I know how
many to expect.

Ed

Directions:
       From Maryland take the inner loop of the Washington Beltway (US 95 or
495) (when you hit the beltway go east or south around the beltway) till you
cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge over the Potomac River. As soon as you get to
the other shore you will pass under an overpass take the first right.   This
will loop around to a stop sign with a filling station on the right and a
cemetery in front.   Turn right and you will pass over the Beltway and be on the
George Washington Parkway headed to Mount Vernon. One mile from Mount Vernon you
will come to my exit, Stratford Road on the right. (You will see Riverside
Park on the left.) Take a right on Stratford and a left on Captains Row. My house
is the second from the corner (9012) facing the river. You can see the river
and the park from my back yard.

>From Virginia:
       Take the outer loop of the Beltway and exit on US 1 headed north:
follow the signs for Mount Vernon. I think you take a right off of US 1 and a
right on Washington Street in Old Town. Washington Street turns to the George
Washington Memorial Parkway as soon as you pass the cemetery and leave Old Town
Alexandria.
Should you get lost just call me. 703-360-2316

Error corrections:
       Should you miss the exit to Stratford and get to the Mount Vernon
circle in front of George Washington's estate, just go around the circle and come
back one mile to riverside park and Stratford Lane.