Cob: Cubic Feet of Cob Per Day

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sat Jul 26 21:27:22 CDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Kim West wrote:

> BlankIn Ianto's new book it is said that an experienced cobber can expect to
> produce 15 to 25 cubic feet of cob per day and that an inexperienced cobber
> can expect about half as much, especially if not in shape [not an exact
> quote]. Does anyone here agree or disagree with this "formula"?

Yes, this is about right.  In my experience, working a solid eight hours I
could (in theory) mix and apply close to 25 cubic feet, unfortunately, due
severe back problems, I've never been able to put in a solid eight hour
day of cobbing, so I generally limit myself to two to four hours a day of
cob, but of course there are some other things that have to be done
when building a house, so often some of the day can be filled with
carpentry, design/planning, or good old fashioned loafing :-)