Cob: fibrous reinforcement-grasses, insulation tubes

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Sat Aug 2 11:36:20 CDT 2003

goat and cow hair can work, and dog hair too....  a company called NyCon
makes a fiber called Cont-rol, about $3. a sack, at 1 per one cement
mixer load....could be used for inclusion in plasters and renders.

this fiber is thinner than human hair, so keep that in mind when you
look at poly twine, very coarse by comparison.

on a related topic of materials
Ken Kern has used long dry lawn grasses, I was reading one method he
used...clay and long grasses, rolled up in chicken wire like tubes...he
was always looking a free and alt materials, for insulation he filled
long paper tubes with sawdust and laid then in the wall cavity like
logs..the paper tubes were made by  using a 5" stovepipe as a form,
taping the paper around it and filling, then sliding the pipe
out...seems like a lot of work to me...easier would be to take sturdy
paper grocery bags,  fill with sawdust, staple shut, like a softbrick,
and lay inside cavity, maybe clay slip or dunk in clay, let dry for
added fire resistance. (US postal inspectors forgive me!) but I was also
considering filling the strong cardboard Priority Mail boxes with
sawdust, seal, paint with a clay slip or dunk, and stack between studs.
in real life I would only use USED/already mailed ones of course, not
rip off the mail system, don't want to go to federal prison for misuse
of giv property (g)

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534 707-441-1632
books at dirtcheapbuilder.com