Cob: Cob Homes in Canada?

Dawn Demers crazy4kitties at rogers.com
Wed Aug 6 01:43:16 CDT 2003

Hello there!  I am a Canadian living in the province of Ontario. I have
become very interested in the cob home and would like to know if anyone has
attempted building one anywhere in Canada or specifically in Ontario?  If so
 I'd like to know how you got past the building codes and difficulties you
came across in the building.  My father, who built two homes single-handedly
 swears up and down that I am wasting my time investigating the possibility
of building a cob home here because I will never get past the building codes
  However, for the most part, he does not know how to "think outside of the
box".  I, however, prefer to think outside of the box and am an artist at
heart.  I would love the opportunity to build a cob home.

My father said I was crazy for thinking I could build one of these homes in
Ontario.  In fact, he said it would cost me more to build a cob home than a
standard" home because I would have to get things tested and certified by
engineers before even beginning to build.  He's a smart man but  would like
to seek advice from other professionals and people with experience in this
field.

All comments welcome!

Dawn Demers
www.artography.ca