FW: Cob: experience is overrated -- an eight-year-old with a cookbook could do this stuff!

Donna Strow dstrow at bcpl.net
Sat Aug 9 20:55:36 CDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Donna Strow [mailto:dstrow at bcpl.net]
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 8:44 PM
To: name witheld for the usual reason
Subject: RE: Cob: experience is overrated -- an eight-year-old with a
cookbook could do this stuff!

But the folks who offered the 10 day intensive said I should come away
qualified to lead my own workshops.  And I do feel qualified, but not
perfect.

"Profit" isn't really where it's at, though.  If all you do is charge for
your time you break even; you don't profit.  If I'm not mistaken it was the
Apostle Paul who said, "The workman is worthy of his wages."

At issue here is not my worthiness as a teacher but the value to students of
what I'd be teaching.  Case studies and the lore of technology was valuable
stuff, but actually building was like, yeah, OK, exactly what we thought we
would be doing, exactly how we thought it would be done.  A few things came
up in the practica, but these also could be conveyed verbally.