Cob: RE: experience is overrated -- an eight-year-old with a cookbook could do this stuff!

Donna Strow dstrow at bcpl.net
Tue Aug 12 01:19:49 CDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-coblist at deatech.com [mailto:owner-coblist at deatech.com]On
Behalf Of D.J. Henman
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 12:33 AM
To: coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Re: Cob: RE: experience is overrated -- an eight-year-old with
a cookbook could do this stuff!

>But getting back to the third grade, I was thinking... Suppose Bobby and
>Suzie climbed up a tree, nailed a few boards together and decided they had
>castle.  With imaginations like that, who needs a barn?

Responsible people who want to preserve food, things and animals.

But this was a rhetorical question in response to the question of why more
8-year-olds don't build barns.  Of course grownups need barns.  Kids don't.
That's all I was trying to say here.

>Lessee, what else have I been thinking all afternoon and evening while
doing housework?...  I did hear abut some young children, in the Orient I
believe, who had a really great house building experience.

Specifically what was this experience you are alluding to ?

An anecdote that wafted by me.  I lost most of the specifics.  The teacher's
first name is Janelle and she is called "Madame Mud."  She lead workshops in
Thailand.  One involved young children.  Madame Mud doesn't put much stock
in skill as an essential ingredient in the natural building process.
Creativity, technique, yes.  But skill get's an "eh" and a dismissive hand
signal.

Darel