Cob: RE: experience is overrated -- an eight-year-old with a cookbook could do this stuff!

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Sun Aug 10 23:32:41 CDT 2003

Donna,
   a few comments on the below post.

Donna Strow wrote:

>.......Countless primitive folks throughout the ages, with no books to refer to, have built serviceable structures.

They also had the wisdom and experience of collecting,  mixing
materials, and  building structures since they were knee high.   They
also had the experience of all of the failures made before and knowledge
of what worked was communicated through life in those times.

>I can't imagine that the U.S. settlers circa 1780, who left the land of big business and factories to construct stone and log
>houses in the New World, had the benefit of a "workshop;" and yet there I go
>off to a 10-day intensive hands-on training.

As I mentioned above, these settler type people had a basic knowledge
and experience of structures not found in 2003 modern people.   It was
common sense in those days to make most everything needed in the home
from cheese, windows, roofs and what have you.   To assume that they had
no knowledge or experience is off base.   Furthermore, those which may
have lacked such experience either built dangerous structures or the
smart ones would ask someone how had the knowledge and experience and
possible trade items or labor, to gain this knowledge or hire the person
who could do it right.

>But getting back to the third grade, I was thinking... Suppose Bobby and
>Suzie climbed up a tree, nailed a few boards together and decided they had a
>castle.  With imaginations like that, who needs a barn?

Responsible people who want to preserve food, things and animals.

>Lessee, what else have I been thinking all afternoon and evening while doing housework?...  I did hear abut some young children, in the Orient I believe, who had a really great house building experience.

Specifically what was this experience you are alluding to ?

Darel