Cob: RE: experience is overrated

Elizabeth Fox e.fox at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 9 15:44:11 CDT 2003

Donna:  I know there are a lot of people who can figure something out from a
book or from having been told verbally, but there are other learning styles
out there too, namely people (like me) who do best learning from experience.
For myself, I just needed to jump in (with both feet).  After having read
The Hand-Sculpted House from cover to cover I still didn't feel like I knew
anything.  For me, getting the experience was vital to figuring out how cob
building was done.  I didn't feel that a workshop would be particularly
helpful, at least for the first time through, only because I also like to
blaze my own paths.  Now that I know what it's like to build with cob, I
want to try other natural methods, and after a while, if I get serious
enough, I'll take some workshops to really get into the industry.
I see it like making a good many paintings before deciding to go to art
school.  Of course you start by drawing on your own!  Anyone can pick up a
colored pencil and make lines on paper.  But if you find yourself really
being interested in the craft of a particular medium, then it does make
sense to join a community of people who've been around the block a time or
two, with whom you can share experiences, techniques and particulars --
especially related to the business aspects.
I wouldn't put down the value of offering experience to others based on your
own experience.  It could be you're just a natural (and it sounds like
you're a trailblazer too!)  then others would definitely benefit from your
work.

Beth