Cob: fibrous insulation tubes

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Mon Aug 11 20:03:09 CDT 2003

Charmaine,

Regarding those packed-by-yourself insulation bags and boxes, do you
feel they need any type of fireproofing or insectproofing? I also assume
it is dry sawdust rather than damp or wet - boy, would that be a quiet area!

 +++++++++++++++

Patricia,

Yes dry sawdust...
Ken Kern put in some dry  hydrated lime, and mixed it up, so yes I'd at
least so that, and I always recommend  coating the box with clay slip,
so you add more fireproofing layers.  Waxed paper boxes, as in the US
mail kind  or anykind have inks etc on them too, so preventing/  slowing
burn rate is good.  but the sawdust does not offer enough oxygen to burn
easily so it makes a good insulation.   casting blocks to infill is
prolly the smartest thing to do.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com
PO Box 375, Cutten (Eureka) CA 95534 707-441-1632
books at dirtcheapbuilder.com