Cob: Russian and other cold-weather stoves.

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 07:11:20 CDT 2003

As I posted, I first heard of the beast in Russian literature.  Pre-Soviet.
But it does strike me that the Cold War would have led American--or North
American--manufacturing associations to avoid the word Russian.  Or the name
of a Russian.  Also some of the members of the association claim other
ancestries for their product--French and Swedish pop up immediately.

Podgorodnikov apparently died in 1958, so this explanation makes pretty good
sense.  The search that gave me that tidbit came from the MHA, in the
document Darel mentioned.  It's in Word-Pad, by the way, accessible to ALL
Windows users, at least.

http://mha-net.org/docs/v8n2/kuznetsov/freegasprinciple.doc