Cob: First day of cobbing!!!

Kim West kwest at arkansas.net
Wed Aug 13 13:09:23 CDT 2003

BlankWe started cobbing late this morning. Yay! The first load went like we had been doing it for years, like we were pros. It took hardly any time and viola! we had a perfect mix ready to go on the walls. The second gave us fits though. It would not hold in a loaf for anything. The books said it needed more water or clay but I could not accept that so we kept mixing to see what would happen. Guess what? Nothing new happened. Finally I stopped arguing with the books and added some water. It helped some but not enough. Finally [!] I soaked more clay and added it. It helped some more but not enough to make it hold like the first batch. Then I put some very hard, red clay to soaking in a bucket to add to the mix also and we came in to take a break. Whew! We worked 4 times longer on that second one and it still is not quite right. Be glad when we get it down to an art. Haha! I think that what happened was that I somehow got hold of some clay with too high of a sand content and did not compensate for it when adding the sharp sand.

My advice? Never argue with the experts' books! [duh]