Cob: Coblist Kahuna - Keep it on topic

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Aug 14 13:45:50 CDT 2003

Others have said some of this, and I have said all of it before, but:

 1 - KEEP IT ON TOPIC - casual social discussion does not belong on
     the list.

 2 - If you don't like what someone said, be polite in your response,
     and if it doesn't add anything related to the list topic,
     send it privately.  If you feel the need to be sarcastic, then
     your message definitely doesn't belong on the list.

 3 - If someone says something nasty to you on the list, reply to them
     privately or not at all, the list is no place for arguments, and
     one person breaking the rules of the list does not justify your
     doing so in response to them.  No one with half a brain is going
     to think less of you because you don't respond to an obnoxious
     posting by someone else, nor are they going to think better of you
     if you do respond and violate list policies in doing so.

 4 - Keep in mind that while I pointedly try to avoid it, I can and will
     remove people from the list if their behavior irritates me enough.

 5 - If you think someone's postings are off topic or otherwise
     inappropriate, please email them privately with your concerns,
     as this is not an appropriate topic for the list, and may cause
     them embarrassment which might make them feel the need to respond
     to the list which just makes the problem worse.

 6 - When in doubt, email me, not the list.

 7 - Please try to be civil to each other, and realize that I can't deal
     with every problem the moment it crops up.  While I generally am in
     the office each day, sometimes I have other things to do, and
     specifically, I am going to be out for a week in September, two
     weeks in October, and cannot be sure when and if I will have time to
     check email and deal with problems.