Cob: experience is overrated -- an eight-year-old with acookbook could do this stuff!

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 08:11:38 CDT 2003

Madame Mud, Janelle Kapoor, of Kleiwerks

http://www.kleiwerks.com/aboutus.html

You're making a big difference among Creativity, Technique and Skill.

Not sure what your definitions are--especially with Technique and Skill.

Where, for instance, do you class the problems a college roommate's sister
had when she went to nursing school and COULD NOT learn to give an
injection, not even into an orange.  The school kindly washed her out and
suggested that she become a librarian.  I think she probably made a great
librarian, but both of those women had serious trouble with doing physical
tasks.  (Intelligent, empathetic, funny, enthusiastically well-read, good
memory for ideas but not motions--I'm NOT putting down librarians)

Factories I've worked in, you get shown how to do something by the
supervisor, left to flounder.  After a while, one of your co-workers would
come around and rather apolegetically say something on the order of "I hope
you don't mind my butting in..." and then show you the way to do this
smoothly.  Technique or skill?

My guess is that the books, if they're good (let's not talk about the time
that doing it by the book cost me a rear axle on my car) can still only give
you the supervisor's run-through.  But even the supervisor can watch you
screwing up and help you "get it."   With any luck at all before you make a
dangerous mistake at the bottom of a wall.

We used to joke about learning from experience--only our own!  Learning from
other people's is good.

(I equate creativity with problem solving.  Used to have screaming arguments
with my dad who thought it was Creativity, a sacred qualityl granted by the
Universe only to a special few, including, of course, him.)