Cob: finishing projects, truths about owner-builders

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 08:21:07 CDT 2003

OK, I'm NOT delighted when they start with "Oh, wow, free house."   But I do
think that that prospect is what hooks people in the United States into cob,
straw bale, rammed earth and so on.

I am delighted when they go through the process that I believe that everyone
must go through to get the house that suits them best.  It does involve a
fair amount of planning, thinking and soul-searching.

I am also not delighted when someone goes  "Oh, this is too hard, we'll just
put up a stick-built 2x4 place." Especially when he is someone who pointed
me to lime as a wonderful building material.  Of course my little log
building IS what I would call a "lemonade building."  There were lots of
logs around, so we used them.  As "when life hands you lemons, make
lemonade."

Darel commented on: