Cob: Lime Render on Cob

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Tue Aug 19 03:46:09 CDT 2003

 From the area I'm in that was done because if the materials freezes it
will not cure properly.
Without going into detail, if a daub, cob, or render freeze before
properly curing/aging/drying it will not last long.   Cob, I am,
guessing will be affected by the same process and duabs and soil and
soil/lime renderings.   So the outside, and the orignal daub walls are
only applied when there are no more morning frosts left.

I suspect that the inside of a being lived in space is frost free.
Depends on the area.
Some can put mini-heaters inside to keep the inside from reaching a
frost state and guarantee a good cure.

This is an area specific custom.   In Hawaii and Okinawa for example
there is no need to worry about frosts.   For some parts of Texas I
don't know.

Darel