Cob: Lime Render on Cob

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 08:29:53 CDT 2003

Seems like LIME PUTTY should be protected from freezing.  But I can't think
of a link just this moment.  But if you had your barrels of lime inside, no
particular problem for doing it inside in the winter.  Outside, maybe. The
southern part of North Carolina where I grew up--the Sandhills--has winter
resorts with lots of golf courses. If you can play golf comfortably I expect
you could plaster.

There might be some humidity problems as well.  Humidity is relative, so the
air will hold a lot more moisture when it's warm than when it's cold.
Walls, including your plaster, will not dry as well in cold weather as they
will in relatively dry warm weather.  Not sure about the hot and extremely
humid weather we're having right now.

Even if you're using an earth plaster, won't be able to do much with a
frozen mass, and besides it would be horrible working outside with wet mud
when it's 34 degrees (Farenheit) out.

Kim wrote:

I've read in several places that people used to do the inside
plastering over winter after finishing the house, but that the outside
render was not put on until the springtime or later. Is there a reason for
this? Is there a problem with doing the rendering first since lime render
breathes?

<b>Get MSN 8</b> and enjoy automatic e-mail virus protection.