Cob: COB in the tropical rainforest?

mike stone costaricacob at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 18:15:02 CDT 2003

Hey David,

Great ideas. Hopefully, though, I won't need the air conditioning. I'm
looking at land about 2000 feet up in the mountains and the weather there is
pretty mild. Most of the houses I saw in the mountains were wooden and had
lots of window openings with nothing covering them except for maybe screen.
Many had no coverings at all. Even though I'm a naturalist and wildlife
freak, I'll probably want to keep the insects and other critters outside, so
I'll want screen at least.

I figured a wooden house will take a beating from the moisture and termites,
so a cob house should be ideal. But, I definitely want to look at health
hazards like mold. I'm assuming that a cob house with lots of ventilation
and air movement should suffice but I don't know. I also assume I'll want a
tin roof with a lot of overhang to keep excess water away from the outer
walls...it rains every day from may to november.

I like the bamboo idea! How does bamboo fit into cob construction?

mike