Cob: consider stone in the tropical rainforest

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Wed Aug 20 22:45:37 CDT 2003

Mike, I have a friend living in a wooden shack in Costa Rica, they
covered the walls with plastic sheeting, this is a TEMP dwelling as
there is a TON of native stone,  they did have mositure problems in the
wood.   and they will build a stone walled house.  2000 ft is pretty
high up,  cool weather  but still hot at times, and muggy at times my
friend tells me.

if you HAVE stone I would consider the stone slipform method ( stone set
between  forms, and CLAY can be used/stabilized with lime as the
mortar.) cement could be used, but is very costly there.

Clay does not host bacteria, the earth is made of it, and the  clay
under  the ground is not moldy, it is any organics that mold. straw left
wet too long, etc.
 I am not sure of the earth quake factor there, so you could actually do
5-6 high stone walls, with bamboo embedded in the center, for bamboo
wattle and daub higher up for lighter weight.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 375, Cutten   CA 95534 707-441-1632    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
 http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com

.