Cob: Using AE>>Too much linseed oil

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Thu Aug 21 19:54:50 CDT 2003

Will, try painting a slurry of clay slip with asphalt emulsion ( Black
Jack 5 gal, or Henry 107 1 gal can, brand) over a small area. the
asphalt emulsion will dry via evaporation of water and cling to the clay
molecules, and seal off that part.  you can try 10-40% in variations to
see what works best, while very dark in the can the AE will turn light
beige depending on clay color and % used.

I get a cafe 'au lait color with 20% in our local brownish clay.  You
can also add 10% or more of lime putty in the clay slip to lighten the
color too..and test a few.  as a thought the overall fllor could be
painted with an AE clay mix especially in water-prone areas to protect
it in future.

I yammer on about Jack Bays and his Rub-R-Slate recipes ( as promoted by
Ken Kern) and the flooring sampels I have made are incredibly durable
and pretty too...the best of an earth floor with added waterproofing and
durability.

Will,  please let me....us all know if you try this and it works for you.

http://store.yahoo.com/dirtcheapbuilderbooks/rubles.html  << about
Rub-R-Slate

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 375, Cutten   CA 95534 707-441-1632    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
 http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com