Cob: Using AE>>Too much linseed oil

Firstbrook, Will wfirstb1 at wcb.bc.ca
Fri Aug 22 18:18:19 CDT 2003

Hi Charmaine,

Thanks for your response, I feel a bit uncomfortable with this option. However, I will try some experiments with asphalt emulsion. One of the things I like about the floor is the colour and the texture. It looks like a dark brown shiny rough leather, dog prints and all. I don't have anymore of the original clay, maybe I can find a small amount of red clay. I do have some of the original mix sitting in a garbage can. I have a about 2 yards of a grey clay in my yard, as I just finished my final exterior coat on  my cabin.

Normally no water would sit on the floor, it's a bedroom. They grew their plants in pots directly on the floor, so the floor was watered each time the plants were watered. In one section they put the pots on an old rug which sat for 3 months continuously wet.

I was wondering if I could put coat of varathane on the floor. Maybe a thin clay slurry just to remove the stickiness then a coat of varathane.

Or temporarily put a vapor barrier on the floor and put in a rug or carpeting and deal with it next summer.

I have a person who wants to use that bed room starting in Sept. I can only work on the house on weekends.

Regards,
will