Cob: Plaster finish question

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Sun Aug 24 16:06:59 CDT 2003

        I have some beautiful red clay which I would like to add to a very
white lime plaster for finishing my cob wall. I went down to Home Despot to see
what they had in the way of white sand that I could use to make the very white
plaster. They have something called "Caribbean play sand." It is white and
very fine in texture. I took a pinch from a broken open bag and added a little
of it to vinegar and it fizzes like crazy. This means that it is either coral
reef or sea shells which have been ground up.
       At the price drywall joint compound would be cheaper, and you get a
free bucket with every purchase, and it might be more environmentally friendly
too.
       My question is: Has anyone ever used corral or ground up sea shells
with lime to make a finish plaster? How does it work? I would rather use a white
silicon sand, and there are a couple other places near Washington that have
yet to try.
       Another alternative is to use any sand and then apply a pure lime
white wash, but I remember white washes of my youth that came off on your hands
and clothing every time you touche them, and I don't want that either.
       Can anyone tell me what works the best on cob?
Ed