Cob: Using AE>>Too much linseed oil

Firstbrook, Will wfirstb1 at wcb.bc.ca
Mon Aug 25 12:37:02 CDT 2003

Hi Charmaine,

I didn't realize varathane was so bad. I had just used some on my stairs and have a bit left over. I also have used some tar on a roof to stop leaks years ago and accidentally got some on me and my clothes witch was a heck of a mess. I didn't seem like a earth friendly product. I take it that the asphalt emulsion must be quite a different product.

This weekend I retried the alcohol again with a wire brush and scraped off the top layer of sticky linseed oil. The floor is airing out this week. It is not as nice looking now but it its not sticky and most of the smell is gone. I am probably going to put a throw carpet over the floor and refinish it next summer.

On the north wall I have a shed style roof for some covered storage space. Right now its floor is just earth and some 1" river rock. My wife wants me to make a cement floor so we stop tracking in dust and make a smooth level floor. I'm wonder about asphalt emulsion, clay and sand. I wonder what kind of subfloor I would need. I want to do something with that floor next summer. I have a small trench on the outside perimeter (part rubble trench) to reduce the chance of water getting on to that floor.

Regards,
Will