Cob: Too much linseed oil

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Sun Aug 24 23:41:59 CDT 2003

Will,
    whatever you do, verify that the under layer is fully dry, before
attempting anything.  Get the top crude layer off and the surface an
interior dry.   If it has been soaking up water for years it will take a
while to dry down to some appropriate level, I would guess that being
about just below your rammed earth sub floor.    Trying to put a surface
coat of a damp under layer doesn't seem like a good idea and might cause
water blisters.

I don't like the idea of using varathane.   I don't see how a clay
slurry will get rid of a scum, you mean just cover over it.    Again
verify that the under flooring is sufficiently dry before you do anything.

Another option to the boiled linseed oil, is to use hemp oil.   Though I
haven't used it myself I have heard good things about it.,

Darel