Cob: slab .. was Introduction

Quinn quinn1 at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 29 11:22:48 CDT 2003

I was once hired to dig a 60' ditch a few inches wide and 14-18" deep (in a pleasing, meandering, organic shape) into which we inserted metal flashing to prevent the roots of the bamboo from spreading into the rest of the yard.  Here in the South it is *quite* invasive, and unfortunately considered a scourge which people usually attack with herbicides.

If you are going to grow bamboo for 'timber' use, take appropriate precautions to contain it when planting.

Also, I can attest to its ability to rot and mildew if not cured properly, or if stuck directly into soil.  Its got very tough fibers, though; it seems like it'd be great in cob or paper-crete if you could 'chew' it up somehow.

Quinn Montana