Cob: Supper Clay?

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Sep 1 00:58:37 CDT 2003

Ablerto,

Alberto Duran wrote:

> Darel- And have you been eating this "supper" clay? Could this be why
> you are such
> a "concrete" thinker?

Excuse the misspelling,  I thought that was Spanish for super.   Some
peoplle do eat clay, or sprinkle it on their salads, but I'm not one of
them.  I get enough from pickled roots.

> I'm sure that this stuff does exist- but just not in Banquete, Texas

Its in the dicstionary, set "bentonite" one of three major clay types.
Not good for making cob walls though.  Good for pond liners and possible
a dessicant.   Anyone have anyother ideas for bentonite clay?

> .
> In my original post I said "thanks in advance for any HELPFUL replies".
> This would exclude this obvious attempt of yours to try to embarrass
> me on the list.

I made no such attemp Alberto.   Any embarrassment is self induced.

A high clay content soil will hold water better than a sandy soil.  This
is a well known fact.

> Darel wrote:
> ..... The puzzlment probably comes from it needing to be wet for this
> to happen. (cause the clay particles to expand)
> This is how ponds hold water.   In old times some people used  gley or
> glay,  which is clay soil and animal doung fermented for a pond liner.

This is also fact.  Look it up and get educated if you don't believe me.

> There is the super clay with the name of bentonite that is frequently
> used as a sealer.

Look it up in the dictionary.