Cob: Diatomaceous Earth Types

sd_fenton at cox.net sd_fenton at cox.net
Thu Sep 11 15:54:30 CDT 2003

Just to close up the discussion on the types of diatomaceous earth since I
started the whole thing:          ; )

I mentioned to be sure to use food grade diatomaceous earth in regards to
cob, or, I really believe, in *any* case, because of what people have
responded with already. Silica is very dangerous to breathe. Therefore, in
my opinion anyone working on a cob mix should use "food grade", as much of
it is bound to be inhaled in the process.

Off topic: At the risk of repeating some of the info on the links Amanda
Peck, J. Frost and I provided, food grade is also safe to feed to livestock
to limit intestinal parasites. It's also safe to set out in a pan for the
farm fowl to fluff in to remove surface parasites, etc.

Check your locally owned feed & seed store or I can get the manufacturer
name and number off the sack at mine.

Sean