Cob: insects and other plagues

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Thu Sep 11 23:24:42 CDT 2003

Scott,
I understand.   What I remember reading was of
people WORRYING about mold, but the only case I recall of an actual
report of it was, Kim, I believe and it was during the construction
phase and not after it had dried and set to a state of normal
equilibrium with its surrounding air.

Again, I wrote about what I saw in a particular area.     Now if anyone
out there knows of any actual case of mold problems in a mature, say
over six months old, cob building, please let us know the area, and the
circumstances, use of the room, etc...

Here is another example of the use of an earthen material, mixed with
Spanish moss and hair, called (I remembered this time),  bousillage.
Used between walls or on the outside coated with a mud or lime finish as
I recall.     Mainly used in the hot, humid Louisiana.

Here is some reference information the might be fun to read:
[http://www.landrystuff.com/architecture.html

Picture of a  2 ½ story structure of cypress timbers and bousillage
http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Louisiana/Prudhomme_Roquier_House.jpg

http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Louisiana/Melrose_Plantation.jpg

Diagram: http://www.laheritage.org/CreoleHeritage/color/Creole17.gif

This usage of bousillage reminds me a lot of the "light clay" or straw
dipped in a clay slurry and applied as an infill.

Thanks,
Darel