[Cob] Industrial hemp.....

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Thu Sep 18 21:56:29 CDT 2003

Luanna,
    Re:

>.........I am very interested in using
>industrial hemp hurds.  Does anyone know of a
>reasonable reliable source?  Do other weeds really
>work as well?  Sources for how to process them?

My input is to say that NO, other weeds, would not work as well.   Some
other fibrous plants may work well, but not just ANY.     Hemp fiber is
very strong.

I don't think the cob people are into processing their straw much, other
than possibly cutting it to an appropriate size.

I forgot what the hemp hurds are, but if its just the left over stalk, I
should think that smashing it, shredding it and cutting it to size would
work.   I doubt you can get the hurds in America though, for some stupid
political reason.   You will probably have to import pre-processed
materials.

I believe Canada is beginning to allow industrial hemp farming.
Darel